Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What I Want to Be When I Grow Up

I'm currently sitting at Fiddlesticks, a fine drinking establishment in the West Village. It's the day where the taxman cometh and hopefully, unlike Geithner, turbotax won't screw me up (though as my biggest asset is my television my taxes really should not be too complicated). I came here as the advertised combination of Champions League soccer and free wifi were just too tantalizing to turn down. The daytime sporting bar scene is an interesting one, as there's definitely a good combination of drinking choices, from some folks drinking a cup of coffee, an orange juice, and a guy wearing a suit drinking a martini.

What has caught my attention is at one table is a trendily dressed British guy sitting with his two kids, who are in similar fashion, dressed way cooler than I think I'll ever be capable of (they both look to be about 11 or 12 years old). As I watch Cristiano Ronaldo repeatedly dive and hopefully see Porto come back here, I have to wonder, what job allows this British guy to take the afternoon off, bring his kids to a bar, and watch soccer? Is he obscenely wealthy and just retired by 40? Is he from money and never worked a day in his life, introducing his children to the life of leisure at an early age? Is it just as simple as he planned ahead, took the day off, and let his kids play hooky for the match? Could he be, dare I say, a fellow severance kid? All I know is, while I'm not sure what I'll be doing post-MBA, I want to do what he's doing. Oh, and he's drinking a Guinness.

No comments:

Post a Comment