Friday, February 6, 2009

Compliance, it's Everybody's Business

Who knew? All those awful compliance exercises about money laundering we'd have to sit through and complete or else be reprimanded by management; who knew it'd come in handy?

This might be very obvious, and maybe I was just blinded by wishful thinking, but I nearly fell victim to a craigslist scam:

I am trying to sell a second guitar of mine (a Gibson Limited Edition Flying V Silverburst if anyone has any interest) and advertised it on Craigslist. Someone responded a day later indicating they wanted the guitar, were located in Washington State, but would send a certified check and arrange for a pickup/shipment.

Sounded great and I was happy to have the transaction essentially over with. The check then comes with a corresponding email from "craigleo2000@gmail.com" indicating that his "secretary screwed up and sent a check for $3200 that should've been divided up for a few purchases". I should just cash the check and send the remainder to the recipient of the guitar via Western Union:

Anncy Graziano 
51 Amherst Ave
Waltham, MA 02451

Now, having been trained by the Bank of America Compliance Team, the number of red flags this raised was innumerable. Did a quick google of Ms. (or Mr.) Graziano, and apparently a student at UMass Medical....seemingly credible.

The check actually came. It looked legitimate, but my anti-money laundering training had me very suspicious. I continued to email craigleo, asking for either a phone number to contact him, or for the number for the shipper so I could organize the pickup properly.





After much resistance, he just emailed me back saying I can contact the shipper at "fastshippinguy@yahoo.com". 

After already giving up on the transaction, a quick google search led me to the a whole post about this scam.

After the recent Facebook "London mugging" scams, I am convinced the entire Western Union business model is based around money scams from Nigerian princes, London muggings, and Craig Leo. Anncy Graziano, if you're an innocent victim in this, I wish you the best. 




No comments:

Post a Comment