Sunday, October 11, 2009

J'ai un Hernie Discale

It's been a while since my last post and the past six weeks have seen some highs and lows. The first month and a half at INSEAD exceeded all expectations and my experience with the program will be documented going forward. Unfortunately, I'm sitting in Lexington, Massachusetts currently watching the Red Sox try to stay alive against the Angels on a crisp, New England autumn day.

Three herniated discs (with one being prolapsed) and severe sciatica put me on the MBA Disabled List. I started having problems early in the summer, which progressively got worse and worse. I'm not sure if this was some extension of the corporate atrophy that I mentioned way back when, but after strong recommendations for surgery by Singapore doctors and pain that is almost fascinating in how strong it was, I made the trip home to the U.S. to try to figure everything out. INSEAD has been great during the entire process as they will be letting me restart this January, assuming a normal recovery, with no problems or additional costs.

I imagine I'll let you all into the world of orthopedics, chiropractors, herniation, and the American health care system as time goes by. In the meanwhile, I'll be documenting how I work to entertain myself while in suburbia over the next few months. It's been a long time since I've spent an extended time in Lexington, and as I'm unable to drive a car at the moment, my PS3 and DVR will be used like never before. I am looking to exhaust every corner of the internet as well, add a few blogs to my Google Reader, work on my Chinese, and maybe get into some really esoteric interests. I invite you to join me as I devolve into maybe madness, perhaps greatness, and hopefully along the way, the owner of a straighter spine.


2 comments: